Monday, May 16, 2005

WSJ: But Here They Are Spot On

Redeeming itself somewhat, the WSJ also published this editorial today: Liberal Fundamentalism: Who are the intolerant extremists? It is actually a reprint of an editorial originally published in 1984 arguing that the ise of the Religious Right was actually a reaction to the fundamentalism of 1970s liberalism. It is presumably republished today to remind us that the Liberal Left is simply reaping what it sowed.

I agree. The arrogant and intolerant liberalism of the 1970s is what made me a Republican. The arrogant and intolerant conservatism of the 2000s is what has made me a Democrat again. The problem is fundamentalism itself. True belivers are scary and, fortunately, they eventually self-destruct.

I hope the WSJ keeps this editorial, becuase my guess is they will be able to publish it again in 2014 as an explanation of why religious conservatism has by then become so powerless, even embarassing. Although, at that point, I suspect there will be with a bit less "I told you so" and a bit more "Why did we let this happen?"

No comments: