Friday, May 06, 2005

Vive Le Judicial Filibuster: Requiring 60% For Confirmation Of A Lifetime Appointment Is A Good Idea

As reported in both the New York Times yesterday and the Washington Post today, it appears that the issue of whether to try to end the potential for a filibuster of judicial nominees is coming to a head. As a result, I wrote e-mails this morning to both of my Senators (Voinovich and DeWine, both Republicans) urging them to vote against that rule change. I would urge all of you to do the same. It has nothing to do with Bush's nominees, though; I would have the same position if the Republicans were in the minority and were threatenting to filibuster the nominees of a Democratic President. Quite simply, I believe that, insofar as federal jdges are appointed for life, limiting the President's power of appointment to individuals who can garner at least acquiesence of 60% of the Senate is an important check on the President's power.

No comments: