Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Iraq: The End Is In Sight Whether We Admit It Or Not.

[Ed. Note: Below is a post I started about three weeks ago. While there has been a lot of new news on this topic, I find that little of it adds much to the substance. So, I decided to go ahead an post it].

On Tuesday [11/14], I argued that we ought to put aside, for now at least, the debate over the run-up to the Iraq war. Howard Kurtz of the Washington Post comes to the same conclusion but states the reasons much more eloquently:
In political terms, the debate between President Bush and the Democrats over who knew what when on WMD is hugely important. But it's an argument about yesterday.

In real-world terms, the tentative debate that is starting to take shape about how to salvage the situation in Iraq is far more important. It's an argument about tomorrow.

The WMD shootout is more passionate, more colorful, more driven by a desire to win history's verdict on whether the war was a mistake. The press is really getting pumped about this, since it lets Bush backers paint the Democrats as revisionist liars and Bush detractors accuse the president once again of willful distortion.

The second debate, by contrast, is a depressing one with no great options, unfolding against the backdrop of continuing American and Iraqi casualties. . . .

Something tells me the politicians are reading the polls, which show record low support for the war and record high feelings that Bush justified the invasion by misleading the country.

But the polls don't make a solution any easier to come by, not for those who worry that a U.S. pullout would cause the fragile Baghdad government to collapse and lead to civil war.

Which is why the WMD debate is so much easier: All you have to do is bash the otherside.
Freed by from fear by (or perhaps gripped by a new fear becuase of) Bush's and the War's plummeting approval ratings (new USA Today/Gallup poll results here), Congress is beginning to get involved in this latter debate. The Senate passed overhwelmingly (79-19) a resolution calling for a "significant transition to full Iraqi sovereignty" and "the phased redeployment of United States forces from Iraq" in the next year. Also passed: an amendment to the Armed Services appropriations bill expressing the view that "2006 should be a period of significant transition to full Iraqi sovereignty."

These sentiments are almost completely symbolic and are so vaguely worded that a White House spokeswoman was reportedly able to claim that: "The Senate endorsed administration policy, which is a conditions-based withdrawal in Iraq. " But symbolism is important, and the claim that the resolution endorsed the administration's policy is pathetic rubbish.

I am very conflicted on this issue [as are the Democrats]. I have long argued that, having gone into Iraq, we cannnot afford to fail. I still believe that, but the politics is going to make that concern moot. According to the USA Today/Gallup poll linked above, 19% of Americans want the troops brought home now and another 33% want them brought home within a year. Those numbers are only going to go up as time passes, and with the 2006 elections staring the Republicans in the face, only an al-Zarqawi orchestrated attack in the US could prevent a significant "redeployment" of American troops from Iraq next year.

Note to the Iraqis: "Ready or not, we're outta here!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill-

Finally found a few moments to steal a computer from a friend. Hope the weeks have been treating you well.

I'm doing well, and slowly adjusting to a new life for the next year. As I prep for the trip to Iraq, I'm definitely interested in the discussions about when the pullout may happen. Can't get into any details about our mission, but all I can say is that my new frame of reference has raised new concerns. Reducing troop numbers is definitely important, but I fear that Americans in Iraq are invitations for attack regardless of our numbers. Smaller numbers, of which I will be one, simply make me feel like a gradual, wishy-washy pullout may endanger the troops who are left and make a bad situation worse.

I don't have any better alternatives, but I would like to see some clearer ideas on our exit strategy before my boots hit the sand. I, as always, welcome the discussion of everything from our motives to our logistics, but I hate the idea of being a placeholder while politicians play games mixing good ideas with an effort to save face.

I hope by this Spring I have a clear idea of why I'll be there. Be it as a peacekeeper, a conquerer, or one of 100,00 small steps to getting everyone home, I just feel a great need to know my place is not simply to kill time and wait for American polls to stabilize.

Forgive the rambles...it's been a long day and computer time's at a premium, but I wanted to drop a note and let you know I still appreciate and value your comentary.

I'll be home for Christmas, and hopefully our paths will cross again soon.

Side note: loving married life, even from afar. Feel so lucky to have Kate and to be part of the family. Love you all so much.

Take care,
-billy bob

Bill said...

Billy Bob --

Good to hear from you man!

I have no words of wisdom (or comfort) to offer you on all of this. You're right that a phased withdrawal may well increase the dangers faced by those who are still there. (I hear that a retreat under fire is the hardest of all tactical maneuvers to execute well.) However, the political situation does create one bright spot: it seems unlikely that you will be asked to do a second tour. By this time next year, my guess is they will pretty much be down to regular army. At least I hope that's how it turns out.

It's hard to believe given the number of wars we have fought in the last half century, but this is the first time someone I know is heading off to war. It is spooky.

I wish I had some better idea what it is you will be doing, but if that's all hush hush then we'll just have to wait I guess.

Yes, you are lucky to have Kate (and, I think, she to have you as well). I don't know whether having that relationship makes it harder or easier to go off to war. Some of both I suspect.

BTW: What is/will be your computer access situation? Will the army give you one? If not, would they let us send you one? If so, I will take up a collection from everyone in both our families and buy you a laptop. That will be our (much delayed) Christmas present to you. Let me know.