Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Night Musings

I just got on line and they (CNN) projected that Lincoln Chafee lost. Why does that not make me happy? Of all the Republican Senators with whom I felt simpatico, Lincoln Chafee was the first. And before that, Joe Liberman apparently won. The one Democrat I would most have loved to see lose.

Sigh. For those of us who see this election as a referendum on George Bush, it is going to be a "be careful what you wish for" year. I voted Democratic across the board this year, the only time I have ever done that, for either party, in my lifetime. I think I will get my wish -- non-Republican control of Congress. Yet, before the next two years are over, my guess is that I will be kicking myself.

What strikes me most about these elections is how socially conservative and fiscally progressive the Congress is becoming. That is not me. Indeed, I am the opposite. I am socially progressive and fiscally conservative. Where oh where is MY party?

Responses to a couple comments:

What do I think of Kerry's "joke"? I think it is a testamenet to how pathetic the Democrats have become. Taken by itself, it was just silly. But then you realize that this is the guy the Democrats nominated for President. And then you think that his main opponent was Howard Dean. And you wonder what ever happened to the party of FDR, LBJ and JFK? The Democrats are a joke. But for the Iraq debacle, they would be a splinter party. And the only ones who could win would be the anti-abortion,anti-gay rights, anti-free trade, pro-taxes luddites like Sherrod Brown.

What do I think of Nancy Pelosi as Speaker? First off, I'm not at all sure she will win given the nature of the "new Democrats." But assuming she does, I think it will be a debacle. Has the woman ever been anything other than shrill? If the D's win tonight we are in for a two-year period of "investigation paralysis" that will make the last two years of the Clinton administration seem idyllic.

I can't remember when I have been more depressed for the future of my country.

Update (12:30 am ET): Well, it looks like Nancy Pelosi will be Speaker (shudder) and Dick Cheney will be the deciding vots in a 50-50 Senate (doule shudder). I can't think of much worse other than where we are today. But, I am going to bed, and we will see how things work out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bill - can't wait to hear what you have to say tonight. Clearly a lot of ups and downs to the election... but what about Rummy? What is this going to mean?