Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Evolution and Religion

I found these somewhat amazing statistics in the New York Times today:



Can it really be that 42% of the American people really do believe that there have been no biological changes since "creation" and 40% of the remainder believe that whatever changes have occurred have been guided by a supreme being rather than natural selection? Is it possible that they are just not aware of the facts? Or is it that they are aware but refuse to believe?

For any of you that happen to fall within this 60% (or within the other 14% who "don't know") but are still willing to look at the evidence, I would strongly recommend reading "Finding Darwin's God" by Kenneth R. Miller. Miller is a cellular biologist who believes deeply in both evolution and God and his book is does a pretty convincing job of demolishing both the Creationist/Intelligent Design "theories" and the underlying idea that evolution is antithetical to religious belief.

But just in case you don't want to read 300 pages on this issue, here is the Cliff Notes version:

First, there is not one scintilla of scientific support for creationism/intelligent design. Rather this whole "theory" is based on the absence of proof. That is, rather than pointing to observable facts that support it, the Creationist/ID argument is based entirely on the following syllogism:

  1. Evolution has not explained everything.
  2. Therefore, evolution can not explain everything.
  3. Therefore, evolution is wrong and there must be a supernatural force at work.

The premise is true enough. For instance, there is (I gather) a so-called "missing link" in the evolutionary chain between apes and humans. The problem with the syllogism comes in the second step: the leap of faith inherent in arguing that because science has not yet explained something, it never will be able to. Religion has made that gamble any number of times in history and it has lost every time. For instance, the Catholic Church forced Galileo to recant his theory that the universe was not be geocentric, since it was inconceivable that the Creator might have placed the pinnacle -- indeed the purpose -- of his Creation on a fifth rate planet, orbiting a mediocre star, somewhere off on the edge of a very ordinary galaxy located amongst billions of other galaxies. Yet, the fact that the Church forced Galileo to recant did not end up making the geocentric theory true. It ended up, instead, providing one of the more famous embarrassments for the Church. (To its credit, the Catholic Church learned its lesson and today has no trouble embracing evolution, even of human beings. It simply insists that whatever the origins of man's body and mind may be, his soul is a gift from God: "Pius XII stressed this essential point: if the human body takes its origin from pre-existent living matter, the spiritual soul is immediately created by God". The American evangelicalism has yet to mature to this point.)

Second, there is nothing inconsistent between evolution and religious belief. At its most basic level, evolution says that biological change happens randomly and by chance and that the ruthless struggle for survival "selects" which changes will be preserved (for a time at least) and which will disappear. The scientific support for this explanation is overwhelming. Even more important, there is not one single fact known to man that is inconsistent with it. It has been proven with every bit as great a degree of certainty as has the theory that the earth is round and that it revolves around the Sun rather than vice versa. Yet, people -- 60% of them if you believe the polls -- resist. It is the randomness of this process that so bothers believers. They believe, as Einstein did at one point, that "God does not play dice with the Universe." But as Einstein himself ended up accepting in the end, if there is a God at all, then He does, in fact, do exactly that: he allows his creation to evolve by chance, confident, it would seem, that sooner or later chance plus natural selection will end up producing man (or whatever creature it is His ultimate goal to produce). Who among believers would deny to God the ability to use chance and randomness to achieve His ends (whatever they are)?

If "creationism" or "intelligent design" is to be taught in schools, then it should be taught in the same manner that one would teach the "theory" that sun is a burning chariot hauled across the sky by a team of horses driven by Apollo: i.e. as a myth used by people at one time to explain what to them appeared inexplicable.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Bill, you site's really growing on me. Now I just need to bring the internet home so I have more time to digest the material than the few moments each week I can steal at the local coffee shop.

On this issue, though you don't exactly state how you feel, I think we're on very much the same page. I am always amazed at how scientific explanations of wonderful and beautiful natural phenomena, from rainbows to evolution, are taken as heresy. I know that rainbows are due to total internal reflection in raindrops, not some mystical process, but that only enhances their beauty and spiritual impact on me. As artists' understanding of art and musicians' understanding of music enhances their appreciation for their repective arts, so, as a scientist, I feel like I can better appreciate the beauty of the world around me. My personal spirituality is only enhanced by understanding, for it is up to me to decide what or who is, or is not, behind the beauty I see and understand.

On a side note, Einstein's, "God does not play dice" comment was in opposition to the underlying statistical nature of quantum mechanics. Quantum is still abstract enough to escape most critism, but just wait until its implications and crazy (though I believe them) ideas become mainstream...I'm sure the heresy of science will be proclaimed more than ever. Johnjoe McFadden's "Quantum Evolution" is an interesting preview of what may be coming to this argument. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0393323102/qid=1126399351/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-4568090-4195304?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Bill said...

I'm glad you are enjoying it. People tell me they read the blog, but so few of them leave "tracks" that it is sometimes hard to believe. It feels mostly like I am talking to myself. Since I am one of the most interesting people I know (lol), that's OK, of course. It's mostly mental masturbation in any event. But, it would be more fun if I got more reactions. So, your comments are greatly appreciated.

Ever since you mentioned the "Quantum Evolution" book when we were in MN, it has been on my reading list. QM is one of the many things that I can not really even conceptualize, much less understand to any degree. Yet, I find it fascinating, and have slogged through a fair number of the pletora of books out there that try to explain modern physics to lay audiences. (As you have probably already surmized, I am a bit of a science wannabe: lots of interest but a dearth of skills). So Quantum Evolution is right up my alley.

What do I think about the "conflict" between science and religion? First off, I don't really think it exists. Science is never going to prove the non-existence of a supreme being and everything science does prove can be reconciled (if one chooses to) with the idea of a creator, even with a creator that is active in current affairs. In the end, though, I do not believe in (and have a hard seeing why others believe in) supernatural causes for material phenomena. True there is much we can not explain (yet), and there is a natural human impulse to assume that whatever we can't explain must be evidence of the divine. Yet, that explanation has been shown to be wrong again and agin and has never been shown to be right.

There is a saying that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and yet expecting different results. I think it is similarly "insane" to again and again adopt a supernatural explanation for the universe and its phenomena in the hope that this time the explanation will be right. In the contest between religion and science as explanations of the universe, the score is about a billion to zero in favor of science. I find that record to be persuasive in trying to decide whether to accept a supernatural explanation for things we do not yet understand.

We need to find meaning in life itself, rather than looking for meaning in a hope that there is something more.

Anonymous said...

LOL... I love your "mental masturbation" note. When I started doing research I went through a filing cabinet of related papers my advisor had compiled. They were all labeled either, "good", "crap", or "MM". I asked him what "MM" was, and he said, "Mathematical Masturbation." Basically people showing how much they could do with math, but not really doing anything new. Not that the analogy applies here, but I love the MM similarity.

I completely agree with you that there is not, or rather, should not, be a conflict between science and religion. There will always be unanswered questions, and it will be up to individuals to decide how they address or answer them. The current conflicts seem to be gross arguments over lines arbitrarily drawn in the sand. If human existance is a divine miracle, why does believing that evolution is part of that miracle take anything away from the overall belief? Maybe quantum brings us a step closer to understanding the mechanisms of evolution, but can QM not be part of the miracle? The line just keeps moving, and will always move, so why argue about where it is today (or where it was yesterday or centuries ago, as a majority of those polled seem to be doing in this case)?

I also share your belief that no divine entity can directly and immediately influence material events. This falls into the category of things I CHOOSE to believe, as opposed to the things I'm forced to believe because I can prove them using methods of reasoning and testing I also choose to believe in like math and physics. I'm often frustrated because I feel there are a lot of people who do not distinguish between things they choose to believe in and things that are proven. I won't judge anyone based on things I choose to believe, and I expect the same courtesy in return.