Thursday, March 17, 2005

Snookered By The (Faux) "Pink Libertairan"

Back in January, I posted a link to what appeared to be something very rare: a blog by a young, attractive, libertarian woman. I found her thinking to be somewhat sophomoric and imbued with the confidence that comes only from youth and inexperience, but the author seemed unique enough that I thought the blog might make interesting reading from time to time. Today, I went back there for the first time, and, low and behold, learned that the young liberterian girl was actually (by his own confession), "an unemployed man without a wife or girlfriend still living with my parents despite being over the age of 30." What a bummer! Sophistry by Libertairan Girl was something I could tolerate, even find amusing. Sophistry by an unemployed 30-year old with no life is simply boring.

Before relegating him to my "deleted items box", though, i should point out that our hermaphrodite does make one observation that may not be entirely irrelevant to the debate raging recently over the paucity of women on America's editorial pages (see, e.g., this and this and this): precisely becuase they are so much rarer, it is a heck of a lot easier for a female (and especially an attractive female) journalist/blogger to attract attention than it is for a male. He/She moans:
When I had a blog as my real self, no one linked to me, no one left any comments, it was as if the blog existed in a vacuum. But things were different for Libertarian Girl. Every day I’d check Technorati and discover new unsolicited links. It was like I had warped into an alternate universe where all the rules had changed. At the rate things were happening, this would have been an A-list blog in a few more months.

It’s funny how there have been some posts in the blogosphere saying that the political blogosphere was a boys club that discriminated against women, as evidenced by how few politics bloggers were women. Boy were they completely off the mark. It’s ten times easier for a woman’s blog to become popular.

Yes, female editorialist/bloggers are realtively rare. But that very rarity has the potential to give them disproportiante impact.

Be careful what you wish for girls!

No comments: